Popular Posts

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wednesday's Topic: Reading Levels for Kids

 How do you all organize books in your library? We have it basically by age group for fiction and then alphabetical order by author's last name or series title. Then of course the non fiction by Dewey and then some special sections (mainly in Dewey).

 We have picture books, easy readers, intermediates (what do you guys call your beginner readers and beginning chapter books?) these are our names for them, series, paperback fiction, hardcover fiction, graphic novels, mystery, science fiction and fantasy. We have special non fiction sections called: Science Experiments, Parenting, Test Prep, holiday books, Easy science and math, and foreign language books.

Now to further complicate things, I know the schools use some different way to organize their books and catergorize their books in different levels that may not correspond to our organization. Has anyone ever heard of the Fountas and Pinnell Guided Readers? That is what is used to categorize books by levels in the NYC public schools. They go by letter levels and they are supposed to be organized by grade and also reading ability but I am not sure of the exact criteria. We found this out from the parents and only one parent had it in more detail and I had to do research on my own to find out what it means. Do your schools do the same or do they have a different level system? Have they asked you for books based on a different level?

6 comments:

  1. The public schools here use that same letter system, and I really don't like it. Parents become obsessed with adhering to the letters, and they often tell their kids they're not allowed to read the titles they want because they're a letter too high or too low. Sure, kids need to be encouraged to read on their level, but when it comes to pleasure reading, I wish they could have a little more freedom and not worry so much about how they're measuring up.

    As far as organization, we have our collection separated out into the following sections: DVDs, CDs, Audiobooks, Graphic Novels, Foreign Language, Reference, Easy Readers, Board Books, Picture Books, Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Series. We do get a lot of parents who want the sections separated out and labeled by grade, but I am not a fan of that idea, mostly because kids in the same grade can be on a variety of different reading levels. I'm happy to help individual kids find books on their own level, but I don't like to pick up a book and label it as second grade or third grade, when it depends on the child.

    Oh, and everything is either alphabetically by the author's last name, or in order by Dewey numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have a problem with the whole level system too. I think if teachers want the kids to read level books, they should have those available in the schools not public libraries. I remember here they always stressed that we are encouraging reading for learning but mainly for the sheer enjoyment of it and denying the kid the right to read a book because it is not at their level is wrong. Also if they know the system already at the school, let them handle it there.

    Unofficially some of those catergories I mentioned are by grade but not listed as such, and there is a wide range, so even if they are reading above or below their level, it is not that far off.

    Thanks for posting! -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a former teacher and what bothers me about the guided reading leveled system is how limiting it is because it doesn't allow for choice - or learning how to self select books. I also think so many of the leveled stories are terrible!

    Also, the levels on the I Can Read type books are all different - totally dependent on the publisher.

    Melissa
    http://imaginationsoup.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting, Melissa. You make some very valid points and I agree with all of them. I also find it confusing that the beginner reader books levels like the I Can Read books all have different levels depending on the publisher.-michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have picture books, easy readers, and chapter books (labelled as J FIC). I wish we had a section for beginning chapter books. I might suggest it, but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't gain traction as a cataloging change.

    We have biographies, parenting books, graphic novels and mysteries separated out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, having a section for beginner chapter books, or intermediate as we call it, makes it easier for kids and their parents to find books without having go through all the regular fiction books.-Michelle

    ReplyDelete