Popular Posts

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday's Topic: Summer Reading Club

Many of you are starting registration or programs for Summer Reading for the children and teens this week. I am starting registration this week. We have a kickoff program on the 13th to celebrate the beginning of sign ups. A singer/performer Emily Ellison is coming. The official first day of signups though is this Thursday the 9th. The way we are doing it at my library is like this. We are having a flea market and at the flea market, I have a page and a volunteer sitting at a table registering children for summer reading, giving them their incentive prize and signing them up for programs. We are also going to have them sign petitions, make postcards etc. for advocacy.

Do you guys have a target number? I believe ours is 700 customers (kids, teens and adults). I remember in the past if you met or exceeded the target number, you got a pizza party.

I'm doing 2 programs for school age (craft and games) and one program for storytime but two sessions. I may have some other programs too, partly depending if I am laid off (I could be laid off August 4th, if the money is not reinstated). If you know anyone in NYS esp. NYC encourage them to write to their politicians to save the libraries.

We always have a summer reading party this summer, but because of what I said above, I don't know how that will work this year. Depending on how many kids, I may have two parties.

If you like, please post what you do for Summer Reading.

1 comment:

  1. Various replies to this post included: carnival kickoff, Comics theme, fairy tale theme, gaming and storytimes and prize ideas.

    ReplyDelete