I decided to coordinate with the book talk Tuesday schedule to swap Monday and Tuesday topics, so Monday topics are now programming topics.
This week I decided to talk about Book Buddies. This is a successful program I started at my library about 5 years ago. I thought of the idea when my mentor had mentioned she did this program at her library and it went very well. This is a great program for many reasons. First, its a great way for children to practice reading. Secondly, it is really easy to do once you get the volunteers in place; basically you are just monitoring the program. Third, its a program that is for both children and teens and teens can receive volunteer credit for doing it.
The first year I had gotten volunteers by recruiting teens from the library. Since it was the first year, I only had a few volunteers. The second year, I was very lucky to have a local school contact me and tell me they would like to do community service through the library. Instant volunteers! I was very happy. We have been working with them until the library has been renovated. We lost touch but we may get back in touch for the fall.
The children love to pick out their own books and have fun with their "buddies". I try to keep them with the same person if possible, but sometimes switch it up so every volunteer has a chance to read.
Popular Posts
-
1. When My Name was Keoko by Linda Sue Park 2. Hatch by Roxie Munro 3. Lunchlady series by Jarrett Krosoczka 4. Hooray for Amanda and her...
-
I didn't realize it is Flannel Fridays. I'm new to the twitter/blogoverse. I guess on Flannel Fridays, we talk about things we do in...
-
How do you all organize books in your library? We have it basically by age group for fiction and then alphabetical order by author's la...
-
Yesterday I did a program we did for the first time at the library. We are a member of the Collaborative Summer Reading Program. Our theme...
-
I decided not to post on the holiday and post two topics today. I was wondering what series are popular in your library and how you determin...
-
Here is my outline of what I plan on doing for the first session of Summer Storytime. First I'm going to give you some background on wha...
-
I know many of you are either public children's librarians or a school library media specialists who works with the public libraries. Wh...
-
I know its been a while since I have posted here. I been really busy. I think it is easier (and more realistic) if I post just once or twi...
-
Note: Due to all the buzz surrounding the upcoming movie and the books, my book club decided to read it for this months meeting. Hunger...
-
This week's craft theme was recyclables. We used materials that you could get for free and can be reused. We made a shell pet and a new...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(72)
-
▼
June
(23)
- Thursday's Topic: Summer Reading update
- Wednesday's Topic: I'm so Happy
- Summer Reading Bulletin Board...
- Tuesday's Topic: Book Talk, Latest Warriors book b...
- Monday's Topic: Book Buddies
- Wednesday's topic: School/Library Partnerships
- Monday/Tuesday's Topic: Book Talk-Alvin Ho Duo
- Belated Friday Post: Flannel Friday
- Thursday's Topic: About Me and about you
- Wednesday's Topic: Read Down your Fines and Fees
- Tuesday's Topic: Performers @ your Library
- Special Book Review Tuesday Post: Story of a Girl ...
- Monday's Topic: Storytime favorites
- Flannel Friday Topic
- Thursday's Topic: Talk amongst yourself, I'm Verkl...
- Wednesday's Topic: Parents' and childrens' behavio...
- Tuesday's Topic: Summer Reading Club
- Books on my list to read for children's Literature
- Friday's Topic: Flannel Fridays
- Thursday's Topic: Author Encounters Real or Virtual
- Emergency post: Save Libraries
- My name
- Wednesday General Library Topics: Computers @ the ...
-
▼
June
(23)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment