Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr
I read this great YA book for my book club. Based on that inaccurate article from WSJ last week, the author would erroneously think this is a bad book for teens. This is a story about a 15 year old who is called a "slut" in school because of a mistake she made when she was 13. Deanna was feeling neglected because both of her parents work long hours and do not seem to have time for her. When Tommy, a friend of her brothers, starts giving her the attention she craves, she gives in having sex with him in his car. One day her father catches them in the car and runs Tommy off. Then Tommy tells everyone that Deanna wanted to have sex with him and was very needy. Deanna has a hard time living down her reputation. Many people just assume she is a slut and a troublemaker. What will she do? Will she be able to show the great person she really is? Sara Zarr's debut is a winner and really understands how to write for teens. Deanna is a likeable character and you really root for her to succeed. I recommend this great book.
Extra Note: This will be made into a movie in 2012
Popular Posts
-
1. When My Name was Keoko by Linda Sue Park 2. Hatch by Roxie Munro 3. Lunchlady series by Jarrett Krosoczka 4. Hooray for Amanda and her...
-
Today's storytime theme was Monsters. Recently Katie from Storytime Secrets discussed her Monster storytime. I included two of her rec...
-
About 5 years ago, I started to read the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. I only picked up the first book because it was so popular in the...
-
This program started with the story of 13 Days of Halloween by Carol Greene. I think this is a terrific story because it is great for all ...
-
Many of you are starting registration or programs for Summer Reading for the children and teens this week. I am starting registration this w...
-
I know many of you are either public children's librarians or a school library media specialists who works with the public libraries. Wh...
-
Sorry it took me so long to post this. I have been trying to plug away at my book order for September, so I finish it by my vacation next we...
-
This week's review is on a chapter book, Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster. It is the 50th anniversary of the book. Milo, the main c...
-
Think about some of the performers you had at your library. Who was the best? Why? Here are some memorable performers at the library over...
-
This week's craft theme was recyclables. We used materials that you could get for free and can be reused. We made a shell pet and a new...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(72)
-
▼
June
(23)
- Thursday's Topic: Summer Reading update
- Wednesday's Topic: I'm so Happy
- Summer Reading Bulletin Board...
- Tuesday's Topic: Book Talk, Latest Warriors book b...
- Monday's Topic: Book Buddies
- Wednesday's topic: School/Library Partnerships
- Monday/Tuesday's Topic: Book Talk-Alvin Ho Duo
- Belated Friday Post: Flannel Friday
- Thursday's Topic: About Me and about you
- Wednesday's Topic: Read Down your Fines and Fees
- Tuesday's Topic: Performers @ your Library
- Special Book Review Tuesday Post: Story of a Girl ...
- Monday's Topic: Storytime favorites
- Flannel Friday Topic
- Thursday's Topic: Talk amongst yourself, I'm Verkl...
- Wednesday's Topic: Parents' and childrens' behavio...
- Tuesday's Topic: Summer Reading Club
- Books on my list to read for children's Literature
- Friday's Topic: Flannel Fridays
- Thursday's Topic: Author Encounters Real or Virtual
- Emergency post: Save Libraries
- My name
- Wednesday General Library Topics: Computers @ the ...
-
▼
June
(23)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very interesting and a timely post too. =)
ReplyDeleteThank you Myra for your kind compliment!
ReplyDelete