This week's review is on a chapter book, Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Juster. It is the 50th anniversary of the book. Milo, the main character, receives a mysterious gift. It is a phantom tollbooth. He wonders who sent him this strange but intriguing gift. The directions say to put the tollbooth together, get a coin and pay the toll and then proceed. Milo does just that and ends up in a new and unusual land and experiences a number of great adventures on his journey. He meets several endearing and fascinating characters such as: Tock, the Watchdog (who literally is a watch dog), Humbug (a bug character) and Alec (the boy who hangs from the air) who join him on his quest. In addition, he meets several strange characters such as: Faintly Macabre (a which not a witch!), King Azaz the Unabridged of Dictionopolis, King Mathemagician of Digitopolis, Chroma (head of the color orchestra), Dr. Dischord and Dynne and many many more.
Basically, these characters all represent different aspects that are important in everyday human life, that the book leads us to believe that we all take for granted. Such aspects include: sound, colors, words, numbers and other more abstract concepts. While Milo is off to learn about all this on his journey with his new friends, Tock and Humbug, they must also complete a mission, to find the Princesses Rhyme and Reason, because of course, nothing makes sense without Rhyme or Reason.
I would recommend this book for children ages 9-12 and believe it would be a terrific choice to read in a classroom. I could imagine all sorts of discussions that could be inspired about this book.
In this edition, there is an interesting introduction by Maurice Sendak. He mentions that this book is likened to Alice in Wonderland, but I also see comparisions to the Wizard of Oz and even a little of A Wrinkle in Time.
I will end this review by mentioning my surprise that there has not been a movie made of The Phantom Tollbooth. The 50th anniversary would have been a good time.
Popular Posts
-
1. When My Name was Keoko by Linda Sue Park 2. Hatch by Roxie Munro 3. Lunchlady series by Jarrett Krosoczka 4. Hooray for Amanda and her...
-
I didn't realize it is Flannel Fridays. I'm new to the twitter/blogoverse. I guess on Flannel Fridays, we talk about things we do in...
-
How do you all organize books in your library? We have it basically by age group for fiction and then alphabetical order by author's la...
-
Yesterday I did a program we did for the first time at the library. We are a member of the Collaborative Summer Reading Program. Our theme...
-
I decided not to post on the holiday and post two topics today. I was wondering what series are popular in your library and how you determin...
-
Here is my outline of what I plan on doing for the first session of Summer Storytime. First I'm going to give you some background on wha...
-
I know many of you are either public children's librarians or a school library media specialists who works with the public libraries. Wh...
-
I know its been a while since I have posted here. I been really busy. I think it is easier (and more realistic) if I post just once or twi...
-
Note: Due to all the buzz surrounding the upcoming movie and the books, my book club decided to read it for this months meeting. Hunger...
-
This week's craft theme was recyclables. We used materials that you could get for free and can be reused. We made a shell pet and a new...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(72)
-
▼
October
(7)
- Wednesday's Topic: Toddler Time 10/26 Monster Theme
- Tuesday's Book Talk: Phantom Tollbooth by Norman J...
- Friday's Topic: Information Literacy for Kids
- Thursday's Topic: Halloween Craft 10/19
- Tuesday's Book Talk: Welcome to Camden Falls by An...
- Toddler Time 10/12 and 10/19 Opposites and Jungle ...
- Tuesday's Topic: Toddler Time Fall Session 1 and M...
-
▼
October
(7)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment