Popular Posts

Friday, October 21, 2011

Friday's Topic: Information Literacy for Kids

  I just started an information literacy program for kids grades 3-5 at the library. I have learned several very important facts:

1. Information Literacy for Kids may sound like a good name but no one really knows what it is, you can handsell the program but having a catchier name is better. I got some great ideas from PUBYAC if I do the program next time.

2. The Dewey Scavenger Hunt segment game went very well and attracted several kids that were not signed up, so therefore if I do this program, I can disguise it and call it a Dewey Scavenger Hunt and once I get a bunch of kids hooked to that program, they may be willing to come back to learn about the databases

3. One of the databases has games on it. When I mention about coming back for the databases, that would be an important fact to add. Even somehow incorporating some of the game sites from Queens Library website into learning about good websites may work too.

4. Perhaps the timing is not good? I thought having it in the evening would be a good time because parents would be more likely to be able to come too, but I guess they are staying home to cook and watch younger kids? Saturday would be ideal but we are not open on Saturdays.

5. Widening the age range may get more kids

  Here are some positive findings from the first ever information literacy program at my library.

1. As I had mentioned, the kids loved the Dewey Hunt game and that even attracted one of the kids to come for upcoming segments.

2. The kids are willing to learn about the databases if you get them to the program, it is getting them there that is the problem.


 There are two more meetings of this program. I will talk about them in a later blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment