Popular Posts

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wednesday's topic: School/Library Partnerships

I know many of you are either public children's librarians or a school library media specialists who works with the public libraries. What are your experiences with working with schools or libraries? Do you have a go to person to talk to regarding school or library issues? Have you felt working with the schools or libraries has helped your school library or public library services?

Here is my experience. I am a public children's librarian. It seems really difficult to get into the schools, unless you find that just right person. One school I was very lucky because the principal was very supportive of the libraries and I was able to get in easily. Sadly that person retired. Hopefully this new person will be supportive. I found the school that had the school librarian made it easier to get support from the school because she was obviously supportive of the libraries and was a good go between person. One school I got to get connected to the school because I got to know some parents from the library who convinced the teachers to do a class visit. Then I got to know the teachers myself and will likely now come back on their own now that they know me. One school is very difficult to get into, to get classes to visit or have school visits or get information to the teachers. They do not have a school librarian, so its difficult to find someone to talk to. I haven't been able to get in touch with the principal because she doesn't get back to me. There is one nice teacher who comes and I told some parents and that teacher about this, but for some reason, nothing has come of it. I kind of given up on that school.

Anyhow I'm curious to hear your experiences about this. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. We are in contact with a district librarian at all times concerning projects and such. Unfortunately, we have the opposite issue for school visits. My administration only approves of school visits if the school has specifically asked for one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we'd have an easier time if we had a school librarian helping us recruit teachers for class visits and talk to teachers about assignment alerts. Our library actually encourages us to do a lot of class visits but the schools are not always receptive. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete