Popular Posts

Monday, January 14, 2013

Fun and Successful Children's Programs

  I know its been a while since I have posted here. I been really busy. I think it is easier (and more realistic) if I post just once or twice a week.

   This post's topic is about recent children's programs done at your library. Have you done any programs recently that the children really enjoyed? If you did, please tell us about the program. Please mention the type of program, activities, audience and attendance.

   The most recent program I have done that was very successful, was the Dewey Scavenger Hunt. I geared this program for children ages 8 and up. Before the program, I would give them a brief background of the Dewey Decimal system and the way the books are arranged in our library. I placed them on teams of 4 or 5 kids. I had them find books, magazines, DVDs or audiobooks based on clues relating to the Dewey Decimal system or the organization of materials in our children's room. When they were done, my volunteers and I would add up the amount of books they found and each child on the winning team would get a prize. There was also a small prize for participating in the program.

  I will probably do this program again in the late winter or Spring. I also want to do a storytelling program. We will do some interactive storytelling activities and a related craft. I have done some of these stories befoer and they have been well received.

4 comments:

  1. I did a Stuffed Animal Sleepover in November that was great - I sent all the kids home with a "photo book" of the activities each of their animals did during their stay in the library.

    I also just did a Mardi Gras Mask program that was a HUGE hit - over 30 takers for a Monday night program. So simple - masks in different shapes that covered the upper face, glue, sequins, feathers, jewels, etc. We pre-painted the masks so they would have time to dry and the kids choose what colors they liked best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. What did you use to make the masks? The stuffed animal sleepover idea was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought them from Oriental trading, but you could easily use card stock

    ReplyDelete