Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Favorite Newbery Titles

   These are my favorite Newbery titles (winners and honors books).

1. One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate- I loved this touching story about Ivan the gorilla and his other animal friends. I loved the idea of the short chapters especially since the story was told from Ivan's point of view.

2. Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata- Is a bittersweet story about a teenage Japanese American girl and her family in 1950s Iowa.  I loved how the author depicted the relationship between the two sisters.

3. From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg- This book helped develop my love of the Metropolitian Museum of Art. This is one of my favorite books growing up.

4. Holes by Louis Sachar-This book had it all, a little bit of humor, mystery and a memorable story about a teen named Stanley.

5. One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia. This is a wonderful family story but also a great historical piece of fiction about the civil rights movement during 1968's Oakland, CA.

6. The Giver by Lois Lowry- This is an intriguing science fiction story about the challenges a teenage boy faces in a dystopian society.

7. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry- This is a moving frienship story that takes place during the Holocaust in Denmark.

8. View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg- The author does a great job of telling the different perspectives of the students from Epiphany Middle School.

9. Little House on the Prairie Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder- A number of her books received honors. I remember enjoying the stories of Laura and her family and learning what it was like to grow up in family who were pioneers in 1860s in midwestern USA.

10. Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage- I have not completed this book but I included it because I am really enjoying it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment