Top Ten Tuesday:
Top Ten (favorite) Picture Books:
1. Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
I love a lot of Eric Carle's books but this one is my absolute favorite. The illustrations, concepts (days of the week, fruits and lifecycle of a caterpillar) are all very well done. Whenever I use this book in storytime, children love to mention the amount of fruit the caterpillar eats every day. I love to see their joy and excitement when I read this book to them.
2. Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
This is an adorable picture book about teasing, that is done in a very non-didatic manner. His adorable mouse character, Chrysanthemum gets teased about her name. The ending (no spoilers here) is very fitting and fun.
3. Froggy Series by Jonathan London
These cute picture books feature a boy frog named of course, Froggy. Froggy is depicted in all sorts of situations such as: going out to dinner, going on vacation, going to the doctor and many more. I love the humor featured in these books.
4. Napping House by Audrey Wood
This sweet but simple story is one of the best cumulative stories I know. It is fun to use in storytime, because the children love to tell me which animal goes on the bed next. The illustrations are also very adorable too and has a funny ending.
5. Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs by Tomie DePaola
This bittersweet picture book features a boy and his relationship with his grandmother and great grandmother. This book is very touching and reminds me of the great relationship I had with my grandmother.
6. Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
This simple but wonderfully illustrated picture book features a young boy enjoying a fun winter day. Through this story, you cannot help but want to be part of his journey and remember your own times as a child enjoying the winter.
7. Lunch by Denise Fleming
I love the illustrations in this book. This basic but creative book is a great fit for storytime. Children will love to participate and mention the fruits depicted in this book.
8. The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco
This moving picture book about family and traditions reminded me a little of my family, who were also Eastern European Jewish immigrants. I love how the quilt brought the family together.
9. Library Mouse by Daniel Kirk
This sweet book features an adorable mouse who loves books and writing. His stories intrigue the children and his terrific idea encourages the children to write their own books.
10. Harold and the Purple Crayon
This is a great story about a boy's imagination. I love all of Harold's creations with his "magical crayon".
Next week will feature chapter books for older elementary school children.
Popular Posts
-
1. When My Name was Keoko by Linda Sue Park 2. Hatch by Roxie Munro 3. Lunchlady series by Jarrett Krosoczka 4. Hooray for Amanda and her...
-
I didn't realize it is Flannel Fridays. I'm new to the twitter/blogoverse. I guess on Flannel Fridays, we talk about things we do in...
-
How do you all organize books in your library? We have it basically by age group for fiction and then alphabetical order by author's la...
-
Yesterday I did a program we did for the first time at the library. We are a member of the Collaborative Summer Reading Program. Our theme...
-
Recently I had the opportunity to read the two Alvin Ho books by Lenore Look. This is a charming and humorous series for children in grades ...
-
If you saw last week's Flannel Friday about this storytime, http://litchatkids.blogspot.com/2011/07/flannel-friday-first-session-of-s...
-
I decided not to post on the holiday and post two topics today. I was wondering what series are popular in your library and how you determin...
-
Here is my outline of what I plan on doing for the first session of Summer Storytime. First I'm going to give you some background on wha...
-
I know its been a while since I have posted here. I been really busy. I think it is easier (and more realistic) if I post just once or twi...
-
When I was working at my first library out in Long Island, we did a pen pal program. Basically, how it worked was my supervisor, the Head of...
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment