Popular Posts

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day in the Life of a Librarian: Shelsie Style

  I saw on Twitter that there is something called #libday7. I think this means this week, librarians are sharing on their blog and Twitter what the day in the life of a librarian is like. Interesting idea. Here I go for my day in my life. I am going to use yesterday.

10:00 Turn on the computers and get out the materials for my storytime craft at 10:30. Instruct the volunteers how to set up for the program. Print out the sign in sheet for the customers. Help a customer find some summer reading list books. Checked my email.

10:30 Start storytime. The first half an hour is the books and songs. The second half is our craft. The theme was zoo animals. We read: Seals on the Bus, Dear Zoo, Peek a Boo Zoo and Who Hops. We made a paper lion craft from dltk-kids.com. Children had a great time. We also made sure anyone who needed book logs for summer reading was able to receive one and register any remaining families who did not sign up for Summer Reading.

11:30 Make sure the volunteers put everything in the right spot and collect the books and craft from the program and enter the statistics for attendance into the computer. Help two other customers find books on their summer reading lists.

12-1 Lunchtime

1:00 Provide the volunteers with some tasks. They prepared some upcoming crafts and other needed items for programs. They also called the families for the programs for tomorrow. I made sure they could find any item they needed for this task and provide them with instruction.

1:30 I looked to check to see if the pages and volunteers were shelve reading the books correctly. I also helped some customers find some books for the summer reading list. I also checked to make sure our displays and shelves were neat. For shelves that needed revising and needed to be neater, I asked some volunteers to help fix them.

2:00 I created some fliers for 2 upcoming programs and some sign in sheets for these programs. I also checked my email.

2:30 I had the volunteers look through the summer reading prizes and put them in envelopes and label them and put them in a box. I also  I also pulled some books that needed repair and gave them to a page to fix.

3:00 Helped some more customers find summer reading books and help them get on the computer and make sure the printer was working correctly. I also did some research for some programs in September. I received a package from the main library for a teddy bear craft and looked to see how the craft worked. Realized we did not get the whole thing and emailed to find out about the other part.

3:30 Break

3:50 Check to make sure the upcoming crafts that are in envelopes are in a box and labeled. Do some more research for upcoming crafts. Listen to children who bring in their book logs and give them their prizes.

4:00 Help some more customers find books on the summer reading list. Check to see which library pictures I have for the blog.

4:30 Fill out and put up the luggage cutouts with the children's names. These are for kids who brought in a book log this week. Also,organize the bulletin boards to make sure they look neat and nice.

5:00 Give some kids virtual badges on the Summer reading website. Enter in some new names of registrants on the Summer Reading site. Help customers find books for summer reading.

5:30 check to make sure the prizes were in order and see exactly how many we have.

5:40 Check displays again to make sure there are enough books on the shelves. Make sure everything looks neat on the shelves.

5:55 Gather my stuff and leave for the day at 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment