Popular Posts

Friday, July 1, 2011

Flannel Friday: The first session of Summer Storytime

Here is my outline of what I plan on doing for the first session of Summer Storytime. First I'm going to give you some background on what my summer program is going to be like. In the past I had an all age storytime for children primarily 2-5. Some of the siblings would join us (older siblings). This year for the first time I am offering all ages starting from 9 mos through 5 years. I opted not to do a Mother Goose program (babies storytime) over the summer because of the large demand of families with children in the toddler age group who wanted to sign up. In fact I had to open two sessions. For the summer (not reflecting the larger numbers we get in the other seasons), we only had 4 families with babies sign up. Hope it goes well.

Family Theme

Opening:

Good Morning, Good Morning (song)

Shake Shake your hands (song)

First Book:

Seals on the Bus by Lenny Hort  



Songs:
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Itsy Bitsy Spider

Second Book:
Family Book by Todd Parr



Songs:
Farmer in the Dell

If You’re Happy and You Know It

Third Book:
Counting Kisses by Karen Katz



Songs:
Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes

Ring Around the Rosy

Hokey Pokey

Teddy Bear

Then we are doing a family themed craft. I got the idea from the Collaborative Summer Reading Library Early Literacy manual Collaborative Summer Reading Library. You have to sign up to view the content but it is easy. Basically I am using the heavy weight beige paper cut out in an oval and have pictures of the family I got from DLTK Kids (I love this site for preschool crafts). They are going to color and glue the pictures to the oval and they will get craft sticks they can glue and they can make a puppet. Pictures to follow after craft.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great program! I love the songs...Hokey Pokey is a favorite with our church's nursery crowd (18 months-3 years)! I'll have to find Seals on the Bus! How cute that book sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. You should. It can be done as an interactive song with the kids. You'll see when you get the book. Its definitely worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments on both my blogs this week! I'm finally catching up on replying to everyone.

    I haven't read any of the Aldo books, but I'm definitely going to look for more Johanna Hurwitz - I like her writing style. And thank you for your kind words about my story times. This was a rough week, and it really helped a lot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may just want to reread the Aldo books to refresh my memory. I know how it is when you feel stressed because it is so chaotic at work. Hope next week is better! Just remember what a good job you are doing.

    I also remember getting a lot of those Apple paperbacks from the library or Scholastic Book Club, oh the memories :)!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete