Here's several questions to think about regarding computers in your library. Do you have some sort of electronic reservation system like SAM? Do you limit how much time they can use the computer? Does any children use the computer for research? Do kids crowd around your computers?
Here's my answers to the questions. We do have an electronic reservation system which is SAM. It does break down and have problems from time to time but its good because kids cannot use the computer over 1 hour and only 1/2 at a time and if its busy, they must electronically make a reservation and only take 1/2 at a time. The computer lets them know when its their turn. Some kids do use the computer for research and I try to inform them that google or wikipedia aren't foolproof research tools and I tell them about our research databases for kids and kid friendly search engines. We did have kids crowd around the computer and when it had gotten bad, I shut off the computer. We used to ONLY have ONE computer, now we have 4. It's a lot better.
Popular Posts
-
1. When My Name was Keoko by Linda Sue Park 2. Hatch by Roxie Munro 3. Lunchlady series by Jarrett Krosoczka 4. Hooray for Amanda and her...
-
I didn't realize it is Flannel Fridays. I'm new to the twitter/blogoverse. I guess on Flannel Fridays, we talk about things we do in...
-
How do you all organize books in your library? We have it basically by age group for fiction and then alphabetical order by author's la...
-
Yesterday I did a program we did for the first time at the library. We are a member of the Collaborative Summer Reading Program. Our theme...
-
I decided not to post on the holiday and post two topics today. I was wondering what series are popular in your library and how you determin...
-
Here is my outline of what I plan on doing for the first session of Summer Storytime. First I'm going to give you some background on wha...
-
I know many of you are either public children's librarians or a school library media specialists who works with the public libraries. Wh...
-
I know its been a while since I have posted here. I been really busy. I think it is easier (and more realistic) if I post just once or twi...
-
Note: Due to all the buzz surrounding the upcoming movie and the books, my book club decided to read it for this months meeting. Hunger...
-
This week's craft theme was recyclables. We used materials that you could get for free and can be reused. We made a shell pet and a new...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(72)
-
▼
June
(23)
- Thursday's Topic: Summer Reading update
- Wednesday's Topic: I'm so Happy
- Summer Reading Bulletin Board...
- Tuesday's Topic: Book Talk, Latest Warriors book b...
- Monday's Topic: Book Buddies
- Wednesday's topic: School/Library Partnerships
- Monday/Tuesday's Topic: Book Talk-Alvin Ho Duo
- Belated Friday Post: Flannel Friday
- Thursday's Topic: About Me and about you
- Wednesday's Topic: Read Down your Fines and Fees
- Tuesday's Topic: Performers @ your Library
- Special Book Review Tuesday Post: Story of a Girl ...
- Monday's Topic: Storytime favorites
- Flannel Friday Topic
- Thursday's Topic: Talk amongst yourself, I'm Verkl...
- Wednesday's Topic: Parents' and childrens' behavio...
- Tuesday's Topic: Summer Reading Club
- Books on my list to read for children's Literature
- Friday's Topic: Flannel Fridays
- Thursday's Topic: Author Encounters Real or Virtual
- Emergency post: Save Libraries
- My name
- Wednesday General Library Topics: Computers @ the ...
-
▼
June
(23)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We have 3 computers and just use a paper sign-in sheet. We are going to be upgrading them this summer and will probably add a reservation software at that time. That get 30 minutes, more if there's no one waiting. They only get more than an hour if they are working on homework.
ReplyDeleteWe only give them an hour but sometimes but rarely will make an exception for homework. If its just a matter of printing out something for an assignment, I'll do it on my ref. computer.
ReplyDelete